602 Main Street, Cornell, IL
The Village of Cornell was founded and named after Walter B. Cornell on June 15, 1871 in Section 11 of Amity Township. Two days later Willard D. Blake laid out, across the road (Route 23) to the south, in Amity Section 14, a second town named Amity. When a branch of the Chicago and Paducah came through the community, the present site of Cornell (at the intersection of the railroad and what is now Route 23) was permanently established. The village was incorporated as Cornell two years later on July 18, 1873.